Looking at some of these numbers below it goes without saying, if your business is not catering for the mobile user (that’s 130% of Australians) you could be missing out on a lot of business. We suggest that it might be time to dip your toes and start factoring in a mobile strategy as part of your marketing mix!
1. Mobile has clearly emerged as an influential channel over consumer’s purchasing decisions from beginning to end. Fifty-five percent of mobile users in Australia are now as comfortable with mobile advertising as they are with TV or online advertising. In response to mobile advertising:
- 69 percent have downloaded an application.
- 63 percent have visited the website of an advertiser.
- 51 percent have located an advertiser on a map.
- 50 percent have visited a store for more information.
- 44 percent have bought something via their mobile device.
- 40 percent have called an advertiser by clicking on the phone number in the ad.
2. The percentage of Australians owning 3 electronic devices – a smartphone, a tablet and a laptop – has climbed to 53 per cent, from 28 per cent last year – Deloitte Australia, July 2014
3. 56% of Australians own a tablet device up 12% over the past 12 months – Sensis eBusiness Report, September 2014
4. 76% of Australians now own a smartphone up 5% over the past 12 months – Sensis eBusiness Report, September 2014
5. 55% of mobile web users now use mobile as either their primary or exclusive means of going online, an increase from 40 percent in 2013 – InMobi Report
6. 71% of Australians now use their smart-phone to access social media sites – whilst tablet usage isn’t far behind laptop computer usages at 39% and 55% respectively – Yellow Social Media Report
7. Mobile advertising has grown strongly reaching $620m in the year to 30 June, making it now larger than the total magazine market – Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB) Online Advertising Expenditure Report.
8. Two-thirds of SMEs have a website and of those, 26% are mobile optimised websites, up from 17% last year. The industry with the highest number of websites was the accommodation, cafes and restaurant sector at 87%.- Sensis eBusiness Report, September 2014